Get your free slate roofing estimate now!
Asphalt Shingles Sydney
All That You Need To Know About Asphalt Shingles with NSW Slate Roofing
NSW Slate Roofing work with a multitude of different roofing supplies of the utmost quality. We provide a high attention to detail when repairing and installing home roofing. Since being invented in 1901, asphalt shingles have become the most common type of roof tiles. Everything from gazebo kits and pergola roofing, to large scale roofing projects, shingle roof systems have quickly become the go to roofing solution for multiple reasons.
Asphalt shingles are a popular type of roofing
By a large margin, Asphalt shingles are one of the most popular roofing solutions, and for good reason. They are the least expensive roofing material available. This makes them ideal if you are on a tight budget. Being available in many different colour schemes meaning you can tailor the shingles to the unique aesthetic of your building.
Asphalt shingles are also very easy to install, especially when compared to other roofing materials. Despite their name, Asphalt shingles aren’t solely comprised of asphalt. They are actually made from a combination of materials, most of which are mineral fibre and a cement based filler. This composition however doesn’t have the same level of fire resistance as a slate roof.
Maintaining Asphalt Shingle roofs
There are a few different types of asphalt shingles that are used in roofing. Considering each type of asphalt shingle has different qualities from the next, finding the one that ultimately suits your needs can be difficult.
There are 3 main types of asphalt roof shingles; Three-tab asphalt shingles, dimensional asphalt shingles, and Luxury Asphalt shingles.
- Three tab asphalt shingles – These shingles are the least expensive asphalt shingles available. Easy to install and available in essentially any colour, three-tab asphalt shingles are affordable whilst still looking fantastic. They tend to have a flat look, due to the shingles not overlapping. The main drawback however is that comparatively they aren’t the highest quality asphalt shingles available. The average lifespan averages around 20 years, depending on maintenance.
- Dimensional asphalt shingles – The most popular asphalt shingle used. Dimensional asphalt shingles are significantly better quality and more durable than three tab asphalt shingles. Comprised of multiple layers, they possess a multi dimensional texture and aesthetic. They are more expensive than three tab asphalt shingles, but share the variety of colours that are available.
- Luxury Asphalt shingles – These are the most durable and strong asphalt shingles available today. Their resemblance to slate and wood shingles roofing is a huge selling point for many people. These luxury shingles do weigh a fair bit more than other asphalt shingles due to their composite layers. This extra weight does provide a better resistance to damage. Luxury asphalt shingles are of the highest quality and have an average lifespan of over 30 years.
Maintaining Asphalt Shingle roofs
NSW Slate Roofing has over 15 years experience in providing professional maintenance and roof repair services. If your roof is in a less than favourable state, having a professional look over your roof is suggested. To get the most out of your Asphalt Shingle roof, maintenance is key. With regular cleaning and maintenance, an asphalt shingle roof can last up to 25 years.
Roofing that has not been properly maintained or has fundamentally been neglected will need to be repaired or replaced prematurely.
Here are some tips to keep your Asphalt roof in great condition:
- The main thing to be mindful of when owning an asphalt shingle roof is to regularly check for moss and algae build-up. Asphalt shingles degrade over time as a result of these build ups.
- Annually remove and clean away any debris. Overtime, leaves, twigs and other rubbish can accumulate, lead to water being trapped and building up. Built up water can cause leaks and is the perfect environment for an ecosystem of moss, algae and fungi to grow.
- Regularly check that the shingles haven’t come loose, especially after high winds or storms. If the integrity of the roof is compromised by broken shingles, look to have it repaired as soon as possible.
Find out how NSW Slate Roofing can help you with all of your roofing needs
We are happy to inspect your roof and provide a comprehensive and accurate quote. From simple repairs to a complete installation, NSW Slate Roofing will meet your asphalt roofing needs. We use highly skilled, licensed and insured contractors, so you can rest assured that we will go above and beyond your expectations. Contact us today for a free, comprehensive and accurate quote or call us on 0410 244 228! We’d be more than happy to chat with you.
Types Of Slate We Specialise In
At NSW Slate Roofing, we have decades of experience with slate roofs of all kinds – including Welsh slate roofs. Welsh slate is a building material renowned for its quality and durability, and is highly sought-after in international markets.
If you’re interested in a long-lasting, beautiful roofing material, Spanish slate is a great option. While most asphalt roofs will fail within 25 years or 30 years, a high quality slate roof can easily last for over 100 years.
At NSW Slate Roofing, we have a tremendous variety of slate in stock. From Canadian Glendyne to Welsh Penrhyn slate, we can help you get any material for your heritage slate roof.
Composite slate is a great alternative to a natural slate roof. It offers a beautiful appearance and a life span of more than 30 years, and it’s low-maintenance roofing material.