If you’re interested in a natural slate roof, you may be wondering what type of slate you should choose for your project. You’ll definitely want to pick slate with high quality and durability, and have it installed by professional, experienced slaters like NSW Slate Roofing.
So, not sure what type of slate is right for you? We have over 30 years of experience – so with our deep knowledge about quality slate manufacturers, we can help you choose the right slate for your project. Let’s get started now, and discuss this subject in further detail.
Our Top Picks For Roofing Slate – Understanding Your Options
Slate is a natural, high quality roofing material, but not all types of slate are created equal. Slate from some lesser-known areas and quarries can be brittle and fragile – while slate from the most respected producers, like Welsh slate, offers unparalleled durability as a roofing material.
If you want a high quality roof, we recommend picking between the following three types of slate roof tiles.
- Spanish Slate – Spanish slate, such as Del Carmen slate, is internationally-recognized for its durability, quality, and long term return on investment. Del Carmen slate, in particular, has a very dense structure and a bright, blue colour that’s sure to remain beautiful for years and decades to come.
- Canadian Glendyne Slate – Canadian Glendyne slate is gaining recognition around the world. It’s quarried in Quebec, and it has a deep gray-blue finish, and is known for its incredible purity and durability.
- Welsh Penrhyn Slate – Welsh slate, Penrhyn in particular, is known as the “gold standard” when it comes to roofing projects. Penrhyn is the most well-known type of slate because of the very strict quality control standards used in the quarry. Only about 10% of all quarried slate is deemed to be good enough for high quality roof tiles. The remaining slate is repurposed for other uses, like floor tiles. It’s definitely an expensive roofing material, but Welsh Penrhyn is hard to beat for durability and overall quality.
- Composite Slate – While composite slate isn’t a “natural” slate, unlike the above picks, it can still be a good choice for some customers. Composite slate is cheaper than natural slate, as it’s made of synthetic materials. However, high-quality composite can be just as long-lived as traditional slate, with a 75 year or longer lifespan. Some composite tiles are even intended to last 100 years, like natural slate tiles.
While there are other types of slate on the market, these are the top picks we’d recommend for customers who are in the market for slate, and interested in this type of roofing.
How Can I Choose The Best Slate For My Roofing Project?
What’s the best slate for your roofing project? Well, that depends on the particulars of your building, project, budget and other such details. Here are a few tips for determining the right slate for your needs:
- Determine your budget – Depending on the type of slate you choose, your budget may fluctuate quite a bit. So, before you start shopping for slate tiles and getting estimates from a roofing company, you’ll want to make sure that you have the proper budget in place for a slate roof.
- Check the warranty – If you’re looking at a particular type of slate, like Glendyne slate, you’ll want to make sure that you check out the manufacturer’s’ warranty. Most slate manufacturers offer warranties between 30-50 years in length, but some companies will offer warranties up to 100 years for defects in materials and workmanship. A longer warranty is almost always a good thing, but products with long warranties also tend to command a price premium, for obvious reasons.
- Consult with an experienced roofing company – If you’re still not sure what type of slate you should use, consulting with an experienced roofing company like NSW Slate Roofing is a great idea. You can get an estimate for your project, discuss the different types of slate with an expert, and learn more about which type of slate may be the best for you.
Start Your Roofing Project Now – Contact NSW Slate Roofing Today!
If you’re in Sydney or anywhere else in New South Wales, NSW Slate Roofing can help you pick out the right type of slate for your roofing project. With more than 30 years of experience, our master slaters are always ready to assist you with your project. Contact us for a consultation – call NSW Slate Roofing on 1300 102 908.